Updates will be infrequent here until sometime in November, but keep an eye here and on the events page (www.events.to-music.ca) as well as Twitter (@tomusicpix)
Happening in town today. More details on these and many other shows on the events page.
- Small World Music Festival holds a free festival all day, 1-11pm at Yonge-Dundas Square. Tich Maredza Band kicks off a long list of musicians and singers. Been hearing quite a bit about Brazliian singer Luisa Maita. Full details here
- Cheka Dioubaté’s annual Mamaya Festival, features a long list of musicians including Guinean guitarist Mamady Kouyaté. 6-11pm. http://www.mamayatoronto.com/
- Also, griot/drummer/dancer Tamsir Seck’s annual Senegalese Xawaré Festival is on at 237 Sackville, with numerous musicians and performers. Tamsir says it will start at “9:30 sharp”, but a wise person will arrive somewhat later. Maybe head there AFTER Mamaya… Lots of Senegalese food available.
- “Legend” is appropriate here: Ramblin’ Jack Elliott plays Hugh’s Room tonight
- Cuban pianist Hilario Duran finishes up a year-long celebration of his 35 years in music tonight at the Lula
More coming up this fall
- A huge Small World Music Festival lineup running through Oct. 2. Shows include Sep. 27: Andalusia to Toronto at Koerner Hall, Sep. 29: Malian Sidi Touré at the Lula. Check here
- Malian guitarist Boubacar Traoré in a rare Toronto show Oct. 3 at Hugh’s Room.
- Ijo Vudu Dance presents “Kabako Benkadi” (Powerful Unity) a “celebration of African dance from the Atlantic to the Indian to the Sahara to the Cape” at Pia Bouman Theatre. Info
- The Broadway musical, Fela! plays Toronto for 2 weeks starting Oct. 25 at the Canon Theatre. I saw this last year in New York and highly recommend it. http://felaonbroadway.com/
- Don’t miss Bassekou Kouyaté and Ngoni Ba Nov. 27 at the Great Hall. Daniel Nebiat opens