After a lengthier-than-anticipated absence, I’ve begun updating event listings again. See www.events.to-music.ca for details on the shows noted below and others. More updates will be coming.
Between my trips to north & south Africa this summer, preparing photo/video/journal reports, and then a PC and hard drive that died as soon as I returned, there hasn’t been any time for any significant updates here. There are more listings now, including:
- Grammy winning Carolina Chocolate Drops, Sep. 26 at Hugh’s Room
- The last week of the Small World Music Festival, running through Sep. 30
- A notable pairing of Brownman & Jason Wilson, in the intimate Musideum, Sep 30
- Jane Bunnett with Chucho Valdes at Koerner Hall Oct. 20
- Iris Dement in two standing-room only shows at Hugh’s Room, Oct. 20-21
And most notably, a huge and impressive lineup will perform tomorrow night (Sep. 25) marking the first anniversary of the death of notable political and environmental activist, Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize (in 2004) for her “contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace”.
Sonia Aimy (Nigeria), Segun Ojewuyi (Nigeria), Muoi Nene (Kenya), Marni Levitt (Canada), Afrafanto (Ghana), Njacko Backo (Cameroon), Tate Nsongan (Cameroon), Ruth Mathiang (Sudan), Mapha/Purga/Sale (The RASMI Group) (South Africa), Isoken Ibie (Nigeria), Hussein Adani (Somali), and more.
The event has been initiated by Sonia Aimy, and will launch African Women Acting, “an organization dedicated to inspiring and empowering African women to act positively for the betterment of our motherland African without the distinction of nationality”
See event listing here