A gloomy start to the month of “April showers”, but the musical forecast is anything but.
Check the full event listings at www.to-music.ca/events A few goodies picked out from there below. (Details and links for all these shows are in the events calendar)
- April 5: Brazilian/Mexican grooves at the Lula: Aline Morales and Quique Escamilla.
- April 6, Batuki Music continues its new “Africa Up Close” series at the intimate NOW Lounge, with Malian griot Sountougoumba “Tapa” Diarra. Only $10
- April 11: Jane Bunnett’s “Spirit of Music” benefit for Cuban musicians with a raft of guests including Molly Johnson, Njacko Backo and more. Hugh’s Room
- April 12: Bombino, the excellent guitarist from Niger who tore up the Lula Lounge last July returns to the same club. A highlight. (Batuki/Small World)
- April 13 through May 19. Small World Music kicks of its 10th Asian Music Festival, this year expanded beyond just the traditional South Asisan focus
- April 19: Benefit for Billy Bryans at the Lula
- April 25: A rare west African treat: Senegalese guitarist/singer Cheikh Lo at the Great Hall, also via Batuki Music
- April 28: Cuban great Eliades Ochoa in concert at the Opera House. (He’ll also be back in June with Afrocubism at Luminato
Also look for the full Toronto Jazz Festival lineup to be announced, and full Luminato details to be posted on their website, April 5. On April 16, Koerner Hall will announce the 2012-13 season.