One of the greatest R&B singers ever is now dying.
Last week, the BBC rebroadcast an excellent 2006 radio documentary about her life & career. I highly recommend it. There are 3 30 minute episodes; Part 1 will be taken off line about 8pm EST Monday (Dec 26), and Parts 2 & 3 on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Catch it if you can: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xynwv
For some more of Etta on You Tube:
- With Dr. John, in a memorable duet of one of her greatest songs, “I’d’ Rather Go Blind”
- Also live, from 1962, “Something’s Got A Hold on Me“
- “Rock n Roll Music” at Chuck Berry’s 60th birthday
- “The Very Thought of You” (recorded)
- “God’s Song“. James recorded a number of Randy Newman’s songs, but this remains one of my favourite Etta interpretations
Also highly recommended, Etta’s autobiography, Rage To Live, co-written with David Ritz.